Woden Town Square Mural
This mural was a project run by Transport Canberra and City Services.
My responsibility was to complete a 25m long by 3m high mural within a week while also running a number of mural workshops with various organisations.
The outcome for the mural was to engage and collaborate with youth organisations and have the mural activate the area in a positive way for all the community.
The overall feedback from the community was very supportive of the new mural.
I really appreciate your approach to working with the community, as it has that place making / community development vibe that helps build the capacity of the community. Thank you for the feedback and look forward to working with you again.Casey Armstrong – Community Development Officer
The mural workshops consisted of:
- 8-16 participants per session
- Session to run for around 2.5 hours (aim to start around late morning when warmer), this allows for breaks and also can have the option for people to stay on if they wish with supervision
- Basic painting techniques with a brush, may include some can work but the brush will be the main technique used
- Onsite painting to last for 5 days – so can have up to 5 sessions, one per day
- All participants must work from ground level and have clothing suitable for work, being aware that they could get paint on their clothes (more than likely)
- Specific artwork outline will be provided, we will be working from a design that has been through a design process beforehand with main organisers. There can be some flexibility to this as to give participants a feeling of ownership to the end mural